When checking for web hosting providers, it is best to take a peek at the control panel they use. You’ll be using if for quite a long time so it’s good practice to choose a control panel that you are comfortable with. A number of control panels swarmed the web hosting market since it opened.
Some are new players, while others have been around for decades. Let’s see what control panel InMotion Hosting has in store for you.
Started in 2001, InMotion web hosting has been providing outstanding hosting service to thousands of websites. Unlike other web hosts that offer only shared hosting services, InMotion offers a more flexible set of hosting options. It allows users to purchase more advanced hosting services such as VPS (or Virtual Private Server) and dedicated hosting.
Its features are unmatched and for only $5.95 per month, you’ll get to experience the following services:
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited storage
- A free FTP account
- Modern website builders and admin control panel
- Shared SSL certificate
- Google checkout
- Get free advertising credits care of Yahoo!, Google and Bing.
- Plus 6 parked domains and 25 subdomains
Also called “admin control panels”, a control panel is a web-based application that is integrated in web hosting accounts. It contains all the options, configurations, settings and management tools you will need for your hosting account. Without it, there’s no way for you to manage your website.
You can perform a lot of functions and tasks on this interface, and your options depend on the control panel you use. A typical control panel must include the following services:
- Website Builder – without a website builder, you will have to go through the laborious task of manually designing your website. You need to design them on your desktop computer and upload all your files to the website. Using an integrated website builder, you can design your web pages right from your control panel and publish them in just one click.
- Domain Management Tool – web hosts today also act as domain registrars. You can’t call a website your own if the domain is not registered in your name. To manage your domains, you will need a domain management tool that can be accessed from your control panel.
- E-mail Management – control panels are also used for creating email/POP accounts. This is where you configure your email address and assign your passwords.
- Database Management – control panels also serve as an interface for your databases. Database Management Systems like MySQL are integrated with control panels as well.
- Applications Installer – If you want to install applications and scripts for your website, you will need an application like Simple Scripts installer.
cPanel is the name of the admin control panel used by InMotion Hosting. cPanel is created with Unix technology and is intended for simplifying the web hosting process. It’s been around for more than a decade and has been used by numerous web hosting providers ‘til present. cPanel is loved by many because of its minimal and easy-to-use graphical interface.
As discussed earlier, you can accomplish several tasks related to web hosting on your cPanel control panel. That’s why it’s vital to learn how to use all its tools and features. InMotion recognizes this need so it dedicated an entire page on its website for learning how to use cPanel and its different tools. They call this the cPanel Education Channel and can be accessed directly through this URL: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/cpanel. It contains hundreds of step by step instructions and easy-to-follow tutorials for better hosting account management.
In fact, video tutorials were created for each cPanel tool and can be accessed in one click. For example, if you want to watch a video tutorial about Email Accounts, just click on the “Email Accounts” icon and then click the “Video Tutorial” button on top of the page. This will open a new window that will display a video tutorial about Email Accounts.