Websites, especially those with magazine formats, may need to regularly send out messages to their avid followers who subscribed with them. This can be used for making important announcements or promoting special offers or events made available to an exclusive set of individuals. This feature can be found in only a few web hosting providers, and InMotion hosting is one of them.
Its features are unmatched and for only $5.95 per month, you’ll get to experience the following services: unlimited bandwidth,unlimited storage, a free FTP account, modern website builders and admin control panel, shared SSL certificate, Google checkout, plus 6 parked domains and 25 subdomains. You will also get free advertising credits care of Yahoo!, Google and Bing.
PhpList is a very popular newsletter manager that lets you create a list of users to receive email newsletters from your website, a form of one-way email announcement delivery system. It is used by thousands of websites, most of them with magazine formats, and every month over 10,000 downloads are recorded for this software.
It’s so easy to use and anyone can try their service for an unlimited period. Some of its features include the following:
- Once configured, phpList will continue sending email messages right from the web server even after the web browser is closed and the computer is turned off.
- You can create mailing lists which can accommodate more than 100,000 subscribers. It’s also best for managing small lists.
- One of its best features is its “no duplicate, no forgotten messages” policy. Its algorithm makes sure that its message queue will not send two copies to the same subscriber.
- phpList also lets you track the status of your email messages so you can see whether the user has already browsed or opened your email message.
- It also features Click Tracking to view statistics on your messages’ links and URLs.
- You can also choose from multiple templates and you can use a different template for each of your websites.
- Your messages can also contain HTML codes instead of simple text. The option depends on you as mailing list administrator.
- A lot of other features.
Installing phpList on InMotion is as easy as one-two-three. You can quickly find a tutorial on this procedure from InMotion’s support center. Here is a rundown of the steps for setting up your own phpList:
- Create an email account for your phpList – The first step is to create an email account which will handle what they call “bounce back” messages. A bounce back occurs if the email address of your subscriber is invalid. Know that you can create an unlimited number of email accounts on your hosting account. Just log in to your cPanel and open the “Email Accounts” icon found under the “Mail” header. Choose your email address, preferably “newsletter”, and the password for your email account. A good example for a newsletter email address is: [email protected]
- Install the phpList software – now that you have an email account, you can already install the phpList software. You can easily do this with the help of InMotion’sSoftaculous installer. To do this, just log in to your cPanel and open the Softaculous button. Go to the “MAILS” section and click PHPlist from the menu on the left side. Click “install” to start the installation. Just fill out the installation details and click the INSTALL button at the bottom of the page. For more information relating to phpList installation, just read this detailed tutorial: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/phplist/getting-started/install-phplist-with-softaculous.
You can now check out your phpList application in the directory where it is installed. Usually it has the following URL: yourdomain.com/phpList. You can now use all its features and options to manage your email newsletters.