Though the use of Virtual Private Servers is more advisable for those with a tight budget and is viewed as efficient method of hosting with its merged functions from a shared and dedicated server, there are still a lot of things you have to consider before agreeing with the services offered by VPS hosting providers.
Drawbacks of using VPS
- Since unlimited bandwidth is one of the basic features that a VPS hosting company should provide, most clients will find it efficient that they are not hindered by slow traffic. However, since high traffic allows fast loading of pages and web applications and coincides with an expanded data capacity, managing of the website might be harder for the owner has to keep track of all the applications and functions administered by the servers. Thus, there is a need for a better and skillful webmaster to take control over.
- Since VPS Hosting allows clients to use multiple servers, there are possibilities that some of your websites and applications will not get a fair share of random access memory or amount of disk space. This problem can be solved by upgrading the hard disk of the physical machine.
- VPS hosting is effective for those with small and medium businesses but if you are on a big time business online like e-commerce businesses then the features of VPS servers might not provide your needs.
- Managing Virtual Private Servers all boils down to the client’s control. If the client is not well-informed to the technicalities of VPS hosting then the client might not be able to maximize the use of RAM, disk space and other features.
Why not of opt for VPS?
It best works for small and medium businesses and most likely you’ll not get the best service if you’re running a big business already.
Advantages of using VPS
- VPS provides a wider range of control to the web applications, a greater disk space and bandwidth, better security, and more features offered.
- VPS (Virtual private servers) are provided with operating systems which can help you manage the hardware and computer system better. Clients also have the freedom to install their own chosen software.
- The servers can host multiple websites and applications with equal efficiency. There are developer tools and services that are offered in the VPS hosting plans of the company.
- Operating systems of VPS are mostly Linux instead of Windows-based OS. With this kind of OS, expect greater security aspects.
- Root access of the hosting server is ultimately open to the clients.
- Virtual private servers as its name say, provides you a virtual dedicated server or features of that dedicated server which allows you greater control. It’s as if you own the server although it still has features of shared hosting which make it run multiple web applications.
- VPS servers prevent hampering of websites for each websites are secured by the physical server.
- You can choose either unmanaged VPS hosting whose control is given to the hosting company or the managed VPS hosting whose control is given to the clients themselves but will entail a greater payment.
- Most VPS hosting companies give the clients the freedom to choose operating systems, amount of random access memory and disk space, central processing units, bandwidth or data transfer and other features. You only pay for the needs you want to be provided.
- The rebooting of the server is very convenient for you don’t need to inform the hosting provider if you choose to switch off the control panel.
- Although multiple clients share the physical servers, the resources of their own VPS are not affected which means they only share the machine but not the services provided by the servers.
Why opt for VPS?
Accessibility of web applications is assured for clients do not share the resources but only the physical machine. You manage your own virtual private server.