There are a lot of options to choose if you want to manage your websites and applications efficiently. Webhosting companies offer hosting packages that link your websites to the World Wide Web. There are also collocated servers that you buy and set up on your own in a Data Center. But the three most related hosting servers are the shared hosting, virtual private servers and dedicated servers.
Shared servers as its name says, operate multiple websites by shared accounts of the clients. Thus, there is a possibility that another client will use more resources causing the other clients to end up with unreachable websites or web applications not loading up properly.
Virtual private servers on the other hand, have the features of shared servers and dedicated servers. The clients virtually own their servers but all of them share the physical machine. The disadvantage comes to the fact that VPS features are limited to the needs of small and medium businesses. The good aspect comes to the fact that clients do not share the resources so running of websites are not really problematic.
Hence, VPS is also known as virtual dedicated servers for it resembles more the functions of the dedicated servers.
Characteristics of Dedicated Servers
- You have to rent a server from a hosting provider.
- More expensive for equipment needs high maintenance.
- Ultimate control on the individual physical server.
- Users have control over the type of operating system to use.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Dedicated Servers
- Since you have full control on the physical server, if any technical problems happen and you don’t know how to solve it then you have to ask for assistance from the provider of the server or other computer-skilled persons.
- If you use too much of your resources and the traffic goes beyond what your servers can handle then your website applications will directly be affected.
- You are your own boss. You can alter the settings of your server all the lime like configuring security settings, installing applications, upgrading operating system, increasing speed or expanding traffic.
- Your websites and applications will load efficiently for no other clients running their own websites will eat up the resources of your own server.
- The programs of your software are safe as long you opt for maintenance and upgrade.
Characteristics of VPS
- More affordable with good enough resources
- You are given full control of your server but you still share the physical machine.
- Management of your server such as installing applications, configuring settings does not affect or harm the resources of other users.
- You run your own Operating System but Linux is suggested than Windows.
Benefits and Drawbacks of VPS
- The hosting provider will help you meet the needs of your VPS. If your servers cannot manage the bandwidth of your web applications then the hosting provider will expand your resources but of course you’ll be asked for n additional payment.
- If anything goes wrong or if your servers went down, support will be given instantly. 24/7 help is guaranteed.
- VPS hosting companies give you the freedom to alter your hosting plan depending on the resources you need. You can expand your server’s random access memory, decrease bandwidth or disk space etc.
- You can reboot the server without informing the hosting provider
- Though you do not share the resources in your vps, the clients may still face a problem with the bandwidth or traffic of the websites for vps still maintains the feature of shared servers which is having shared accounts on a physical machine.
- If hackers penetrate on the security of one of your websites, then most likely your other applications run by your server will be affected.