What is Managed Hosting?
Under typical circumstances, managed hosting falls under the category of Dedicated Hosting. This means that Managed Hosting is actually dedicated hosting with the further provision that the hosting service provider manage the server for the client. All the client needs to do is to pay for the services that the service provider does for him. You see, under normal circumstances, dedicated hosting clients are responsible for the running, the upkeep and the management tasks of the server. Typically, the service provider only provides the client with the hardware and the licensed software and then leaves the client to manage the server himself.
Under Managed Hosting, the client lets the service provider to do the day-to-day management tasks of managing the hardware, the operating system and other standardized applications. However, the client still retains the right of having root/admin access to the server but, as experience has it, is rarely used. Client’s access to their managed hosting servers typically constitutes website management and applications through the use of online tools.
However, one factor still remains that makes it a part of Dedicated Hosting and that is the fact that the server is leased to a single client only.
What services are included in a Managed Hosting service?
Like a typical dedicated hosting service, a managed hosting package is packed with features and services that are so designed to make the life of the client a lot easier and safer. Among these services are the following:
- Hardware and Software setup services;
- Hardware and software configuration services;
- Hardware replacement services;
- Round-the-clock technical support;
- Security Patching;
- Software updating; and
- Server monitoring
There are also other advanced services that are available, at an added cost to the client, of course. These are:
- Vulnerability Scans;
- DDoS Attack mitigation;
- Data backups;
- Load balancing;
- Firewalls; and
- Intrusion detection.
What are the benefits of Managed Hosting?
Having professionals to look after the managements tasks of your server is enough assurance of the number of benefits that managed hosting brings. Some of these benefits are:
- Clients enjoy the peace of mind from not having to worry about periodically managing the servers and checking the network performance as all these are covered by the service provider.
- Clients need not spend additional amount when equipment breaks or needs repairs, maintenance or upgrades.
- Clients enjoy better server security as it is constantly monitored and protected by professionals with modern and top-of-the-line tools and applications.
- Managed Hosting is not a “one-size fits all” solution, which means that it can be tailored to meet the particular needs of a client.
- Constant availability of professional support personnel trained to handle any eventuality. More so, these support personnel alerts you in case something comes up.
- There is no need to validate new equipment before introducing it into the network which means it is easier to deploy new platforms more quickly.
- Although clients may need to spend a bit more upfront, the long term effect of not having to hire staff to manage the server for you could translate to huge savings in the end due to reduced operating costs.
- The same saving in personnel could also translate into savings of time and money as the staff need not travel from the office to the site to manage the server.
Is managed hosting a good choice for a website?
Although managed hosting means additional cost from an already expensive dedicated hosting service, which could come as a big stumbling block for those just starting out or for small and medium-sized companies; the peace of mind, the comfort and security it brings to your website plus the savings in time and money in the long run is more than enough to offset the high price it commands. Managed hosting is an ideal choice for a website.